So, yesterday was a very interesting day! I was putting away some pots and pans under the stove when I happened to look at the toe-kick underneath the kitchen sink. What I saw was horrible!!! There was some sort of nasty blackish slime dripping out of the seam and dripping onto the floor. It had even piled up a little on the floor. I took a picture, but I will spare you all.
After thinking of all the possibilities, we decided to slide out the dishwasher and see if that’s where the sludge was coming from. After tugging for about an hour we got the washer out and saw that it was indeed leaking…it was so nasty! There was all sorts of slime and grime under it. Apparently it had been leaking for quite some time…resulting in our cabinets rotting out. Yep…we’re gonna have to replace our cabinets! Boo! Plus, a new dishwasher…sigh.
The process ended in a horrible mess. Our kitchen was trashed! Take a look.
Anyways…after we cleaned out from underneath the dishwasher I volunteered to take out the garbage. It was about 10 o’clock at night. So I went outside and started walking towards the garbage can. When I was about two feet away from the garbage can, the lid suddenly lifted by itself and I saw two glowing eyes. Needless to say I dropped the bag and ran inside. Raccoons! Yuck!
About 5 minutes later, I went out again to get the bag in the can. This time I took a flashlight. This time, I saw a raccoon scampering across the top of our fence. I shoo’d this one away and ran back towards the door. When I was back at the door I saw the lid open on the garbage can again while the first raccoon jumped out.
Here’s the offender in our neighbors garbage.
After deciding that we couldn’t leave our bag of garbage on the driveway, Mason and I ventured out one more time…with a golf club this time. Mason lifted the lid with the club and I tossed the bag in from as far away as I could. Luckily there wasn’t a raccoon in it!
I had no idea that I would be dealing with raccoons in Tennessee! Snakes and spiders and all sorts of jungle bugs yes, but not raccoons that rifle through my garbage! Oh well, guess I better get used to it!

3 comments:
A raccoon ate my rabbit when I was like 10.
We had a raccoon for awhile digging in our trash. Luckily he kept it all in the can. We called him Rocky. Then after the cold snap earlier this year we found him dead in the front yard covered by snow. Poor little guy. But I was happy to be through with the possibility of the creep eyes in our can late at night!
Oh... and I meant to say... sorry to hear about the dishwasher, what a drag! But things are looking nice in the redo!
Post a Comment